SocScape (Social Landscape) is a research project which aims to provide free, ready-to-use resources of maps for visualizing and analyzing residential segregation and racial diversity in the conterminous US and US metropolitan areas in 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020.
This project has been developed in the Space Informatics Lab (sil.uc.edu, http://sil.home.amu.edu.pl) at the University of Cincinnati by prof. Tomasz Stepinski, dr Anna Dmowska and dr Pawel Netzel.
SocScape provides two types of resources:
- SocScape - GeoWeb application for exploring and detecting change of population density and racial diversity over the conterminous U.S. It shows high resolution (30m) grids of the total population and racial diversity/dominant race for 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020. Now 2020 US Census grids are also available.
EXPLORE USING SOCSCAPE GEOWEB APP
- SocScape data – for downloading data for each county and for 363 MSA as a zip archive. We provide four types of resources:
- high resolution population, race-specific, and racial diversity grids for 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020 (available as GeoTiffs)
- racial diversity change maps that show temporal changes in racial diversity as a single map for 1990-2000, 2000-2010, and 1990-2010 comparison (available as ESRI Shapefiles)
- racial dot maps calculated based on 2010 high resolution demographic grids for each county in the conterminous US (available as ESRI Shapefiles)
- historical census tracts show racial composition and diversity/dominant race classification in US cities between 1910-2010 (available as ESRI Shapefiles).
dr Anna Dmowska, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Geoinformation, Institute of Geoecology and Geoinformation AMU
Address: Bogumiła Krygowskiego 10, 61-680 Poznań, Poland
prof. Tomasz Stepinski, email: email@example.com
Space Informatics Lab, Department of Geography and GIS, University of Cincinnati
Address: 215 Braunstein Hall, Cincinnati, OH 45221, USA
prof. UR dr hab. Paweł Netzel, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty of Forestry, University of Agriculture, Kraków, Poland